Dailydave mailing list archives

Another anonymized posting. I need a real way to do this. Note: I don't write anonymized postings, I just resend them to the list and delete the originals.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:27:47 -0400

Anonymous Coward wrote:

> If you're killing bugs for fame (or because you used to be a hacker, and decided to do your part to ruin that wonderful experience for today's youth -

You don't think that with the wealth of information now available on finding and exploiting holes, it shouldn't be a little harder? Or perhaps you're just pouting that all your good exploits are being made useless.

> If you're killing bugs as a legitimate effort to make something secure, you need to realize that unless you can stand behind your releases and say that "this software is now secure" you aren't doing anything.

There's nothing in-between? There's no level of saf-er? No MORE secure? It should be 100% secure, otherwise we might as well leave the blackhats to have their fun?

No, killing off a bug that people were supposedly using to break into CVS repositories is reward enough. Go find a new one and start over. It's not the good-old-days any more. You'll have to work a little harder than that. Remember: Blackhats find more holes before 9 AM than most whitehats do all day, so what's your complaint?