Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Today's thought

From: "Halvar Flake" <HalVar () gmx de>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:17:58 +0200 (MEST)

Hey all,

There are a lot of companies getting funding right now that do source
code analysis, varying from fancy regexp matching on gcc's preprocessor
output to real AST generation and inspection. No interfunction value
tracking (similar to code coverage in that people underestimate its'
usefulness in these scenarios) yet, as far as I know, though.

IIRC Coverity has interfunction value tracking -- if you hook at the AST
layer in GCC, it should not be _that_ hard
to pull off, and I am quite surprised that @stake's product doesn't seem
to do it (as far as I can infer from the examples they showed). Ahwell,
there's going to be v2 soon I assume.

It is very true that pure static analysis will not solve the problem, but
the problem which I see is that many people "soften up" the requirements
for the static part because it is "easier dynamically". Then again, many
people would consider me a religious zealot for static analysis (complete
with detachedness from the real world and weird delusions that are normally
associated with religious zealots :-P)

The fact that most people working on these problems come up with somewhat
similar solutions independently might imply the solution is correct.

Then again, it is late, I am tired, did not eat much and drank a significant
amount of beer.

Cheers,
halvar

--