Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Re[4]: ASN.1 Vulnerability Could Allow CodeExecution(828028); Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-007

From: john blumenthal <jblumen () xmission com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:25:47 -0700

I sat on a flight back to the U.S. the other day next to Matthias Troyer, a
professor leading the computational physics department at the Institut fuer
Theoretische Physik in Zuerich (http://www.itp.phys.ethz.ch/compphys/).
Most of the flight he hacked on a cpp application while documenting
additions to the Eigenproblem template library his team maintains.  We
chatted about the app.  Turns out that 95% of his time is spent on
pre-processing result sets from quantum collisons looking for something
interesting.  His applications employ a ranking system to determine or to
guide a researcher deeper into the result set or cause them to move on to
another.

The analogy to greybox testing struck me:  NP-complete or NP-hard and
parallelizeable?  Anyone on this list with a background in computational
physics?