Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: build an appliance without a shell

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 08:20:52 -0800

At 04:16 PM 3/4/2004 +0100, Pete Herzog wrote:
Ken,

We had to do something similar for the Hacker Highschool project where
we needed to make an appliance to accept authentication connections
over SSH which allowed access to the purposely hackable systems behind
it.  I bounced the ideas off the guys from @ MediaService and using
Authpf in OpenBSD with an empty shell that provides no functionality
at all outside of closing it ends access.  We looked through the
possibilities of hacking it and what it could mean for us on a risk
standpoint.  What this means is that for us, shell is justified as
opposed to the cost of a solution to not have it. I suggest you
consider the same.

It's a grey area.  In the specific case I found a problem, here's
the scenario the shipped product gave me:

  Installation:

  step 1: power on the box with a vga and keyboard
  step 2: answer the questions the shell script asked me
  step 3: assign an username and password for the administrator account

I then, on a lark, tried to SSH into the box, using username "root" and
the password I assigned in step 3.  It worked.

This means:

  -- they had ssh
  -- they had a shell
  -- they consciously assigned a password I entered as the root password.

In trying to quantify the risk there, the only solid statement I can come up
with that's cross-platform is "DO NOT SHIP A SHELL".  Lots of vendors
use restricted shells, or buy one of those silly IOS command parser clone
products, or otherwise muck with things to get past this.