Dailydave mailing list archives

build an appliance without a shell

From: ken_i_m () fatair net
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:03:42 -0700

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 02:29:41AM -0800, arlen (arlen () hushmail com) wrote:
asked the S.E. about shells - does it have one? Is there any way of getting
a full interactive shell on this thing?

I was just handed a task yesterday to build a single function "toaster"
to be hung outside the firewall on its own public IP.  I have thought
about building various appliance in the past so it is not a new idea.
Building an OS from the ground up using a linux kernel is not a big
deal either.  But after reading the thread from which I took the above
quote I am left with "shell == bad" therefore no shell.  ???
--
Ken Dyke
"Bits at the speed of light"