Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Peter Gutmann data deletion theaory?

From: Casper.Dik () Sun COM
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:34:44 +0200

is a dangerously naïve approach.  With point-and-click easy to use =
freeware tools under windows, I can do almost 100% retrieval of files=
after a full reformat, and even after reloading the OS and using it =
for a while, the simple point-and-click freeware tools can retieve an=
awful lot of stuff.  And if I have the skills to use more powerful, =
complex tools, I can do even better, without needing a lot of money, =
time, or even strong motivation.

That's not after a "reformat"; that's after making a new filesystem
on the disk.

(In this context, a "full reformat" doubtlessly refers to what
is called a "low level format" on systems with DOS heritage where
"newfs" is called "format")

Casper