Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Peter Gutmann data deletion theaory?

From: Dana Hudes <dhudes () tcp-ip info>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:31:08 -0400 (EDT)

The NSA disagree and have conducted laboratory tests.
I work for NYC as a unix admin (Solaris). We use the sun format purge to
erase disks (that can be written to; drives that won't spin up or can't be
written are another problem).

I guarantee that a sufficiently strong degausser will erase your
data...along with the timing tracks and possibly burning out micromotors
and ball bearings. Its a question of how many oersteds you need for the
drive so that the magnetic field penetrates the housing (take out the
platters and you have another situation entirely).

I don't have the site bookmarked at home but NIST or NSA have a site which
reviews the degaussing equipment and other data erasure techniques.