Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sqwebmail web login

From: Brian Bothwell <sysrage () sysrage net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:53:24 -0800

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:54:12 +0100
"Marco Marabelli" <mm () smrt it> wrote:

When user root try loggin in on the web on http://domain/cgi-bin/sqwebmail,
if does it with right root password, sqwebmail gives an error "maildir
doesn't exist or has incorrect ownership or permission". This, ONLY if you
give right root password, if not, you have error "invalid user or password"
(as any other wrong password, for any user).
I think this should be a good method for guessing root password, in fact
failure logging in on the sqewebmail are not logged (generally!).

sorry if this is inappropriate, but if any admin has their mail server setup to allow passwd authenticated root access
is just asking for trouble. my belief is that this account should not be real. if you need root () yourserver com then
just setup an alias to forward the mail to another account.