Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:07:06 -0500

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:33:47 PST, Stephen Samuel said:

Most of the time, I'd expect that a copycat virus is going to be
much smaller than the original, since that trick-space is now
going to be saturated.If there's nothing different in the
distribution of the virus, then I'd say they were silly to
presume it was going to be anywhere near as big as MyDoom A.

In general, yes.  However, in this case it was a copycat that
got loose *before* the general population got the meme for "this is
bad, don't click on it".  And remember - they need to get a new
meme for each specific instance, as the average user can't seem to
generalize this. (Hmm.. didn't Stephenson's "Snow Crash" talk about
that? ;)