Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

From: Stephen Samuel <samuel () bcgreen com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:33:47 -0800

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:11:49 EST, Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>  said:
Second, and more to the point, it takes an extreme view of MyDoom.B that nobody else is
supporting, including the sources they cite. MyDoom.B is a flop.

OK. So let's see.  We've got one highly successful virus (MyDoom.A) on the
loose at the time of writing, another variant that's essentially identical
except for the target, and no clear indication why this one *shouldn't*
take off as well.

Most of the time, I'd expect that a copycat virus is going to be
much smaller than the original, since that trick-space is now
going to be saturated.If there's nothing different in the
distribution of the virus, then I'd say they were silly to
presume it was going to be anywhere near as big as MyDoom A.
--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel () bcgreen com
                   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/