Bugtraq mailing list archives

OpenSSH rebuild warning: problems avoiding zlib problems in Solaris

From: Michael Leo <mleo () cariboulake com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:03:13 -0600

Gang,

OK, so there might be a way to exploit the zlib problems in OpenSSH.

I have primarily Solaris 7 & 8 systems, and I decided to build a new zlib
(in /usr/local/lib) and rebuild OpenSSH.

Following the directions in OpenSSH, I used a configure command
like this:

  ./configure --with-zlib=/usr/local

However, the resulting binaries still use Solaris' own copy of
of libz.so in /lib.  Here is the ldd output of the new binary:

  % ldd ssh
   libz.so =>       /lib/libz.so
   libsocket.so.1 =>        /lib/libsocket.so.1
   libnsl.so.1 =>   /lib/libnsl.so.1
   libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
   libdl.so.1 =>    /lib/libdl.so.1
   libmp.so.2 =>    /lib/libmp.so.2
   /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-2/lib/libc_psr.so.1
  %

Modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not seem to help.

I have to dig into the makefiles, but I thought people might
want to know.

Replacing the Solaris /lib/libz.so library is undesirable, at least
at our site.

Convincing the OpenSSH build to use the PROPER libz in /usr/local/lib
is apparently no easy task.

Hope this helps,

Michael Leo            mleo () cariboulake com        Java, Oracle
Caribou Lake Software  http://www.cariboulake.com  Ingres, JDBC

JSockets/JMobility: Tunnelling sockets over HTTP - REALLY!