Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 mapped address considered harmful

From: Anthony DeRobertis <asd () suespammers org>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 04:15:21 -0400

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 03:23, itojun () iijlab net wrote:

      no specification (as far as i know) never defined IPv4 mapped address
      to be bogons.

Looking into it further, it seems you are correct. It was assigned out
of the 0/16 reserved block, but at least as far back as December, 1995
[RFC1884] the IPv4 mapped addresses existed. Since I-Ds are not
archived, I have no idea when they came to be; I'd guess pretty early
on.

I guess where I got the idea that they'd be bogons is that they are not
part of the currently allocated, normal address space. Sorry about that.