Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: otp - the next generation

From: Ben Laurie <ben () ALGROUP CO UK>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:39:06 +0000

Gregory Steuck wrote:
2) SMS source address can not be forged.

I am pretty sure that both assumptions are wrong. Phone company (or
companies, I don't know how the messages are routed) will most certainly
be able to sniff your messages and forge the source address.

Indeed. And SMPP (the protocol usually used to inject SMSes into the
network over TCP) also allows the source address to be specified, though
I believe some telcos impose restrictions on valid source addresses.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html