Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: otp - the next generation

From: Casper Dik <Casper.Dik () SUN COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:21:06 +0100

1) AFAIK mobile communications are *not* encrypted. This means that... yes,
you
guessed it. It is more difficult than the average wire-sniff attack but
only because there are fewer tools out there from the likes of tcpdump(1).

Actually, GSM communications *are* encrypted; though you cannot find out
usually whether the provider uses encryption as it's optional, most do.

Th eencryption has been successfully cryptanalyzed.  There is a substantial
extra effort required beyond picking the signal out of the air.

2) Also, all SMS-es go through the mobile service provider's SMS center or
whatever it is called in English. If the phone you are authenticating to
belongs to a different provider, than even two such centers are used. Of
course, manipulating messages (or even just reading them) there would
require access to the GSM providers infrastructure, but it is another facet
you shouldn't neglect.

The communications inside the cell are encrypted; but as soon as you hit
wires or microwave links, your traffic is no longer encrypted.

(The US and presumably others have lots of satellites listening in to
microwave links by hanging on the horizon catching leaked signals)

This, of course, is nothing new:-) But in this wireless age
when mobile communications is becoming more and more important
I guess we'll need a new approach to security and soon such statements will
be as routine as "telnet transmits passwds in the clear" is now. But until
then it never hurts to repeat them:-)

"When we said that you needed to cut the wires for ultimate security,
we didn't mean that you should go wireless instead."

Casper