Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FW: Vulnerability in Novell Netware

From: Krzysztof Halasa <khc () INTREPID PM WAW PL>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:15:02 +0100

Jeffrey Seaton <jseaton () TCSERVE COM> writes:

Yeah I took a look at this but it is not a problem at all. If a system
administrator is worried about someone logging in as a print server just
extend the objects attributes and add a simultaneous login attribute. You
can set this to 1 and only the print server will login. You can do this
with Console1 or schemax. These are free utilities with Novell.

It isn't very useful, one can login when the real print server is down.

You can also add station address restrictions for the print server object
(probably using some non-Novell supplied utils). The real security
measure is, as always, assigning the print server a password (and even
that might be circumvented by a MITM attack).

BTW: I haven't done any programming with Netware for few years, but
I remember there is a 'set' command to disable "change to client rights"
feature. Another thing which comes to mind is using regular account
for printing, not root^H^H^H^Hadmin account.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator