Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Cade Cairns <cairnsc () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:40:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Michal Zalewski wrote:

Try the same via loopback device - should not work. I believe this is not
Linux kernel UDP handling problem. It might be, as suggested, but
something between hardware and software, instead (like "IRQ congestion"),
and probably should work for everything - TCP, ICMP? Of course I can be
wrong - all I say is that I was not able to reproduce this behavior in my
test network, maybe because it is 10 Mbit, and can't see any special
reason why UDP attack should be more successful than any other...

Confirmed.  Of course, this could be a wide variety of other things, maybe
even the NIC driver.  Oh well..

Cade Cairns
SecurityFocus
http://www.securityfocus.com/