Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Kevin Day <toasty () temphost dragondata com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:48:34 -0500 (CDT)

The flood is performed via a Gigabit link. The packet rate handling of
win2k is wonderful, it even beats an OpenBSD 2.8. Kudos to MS guys,
this one is a real hit. As I couldn't believe my eyes I ran some
applications on it (crunching queries on the local MS SQL2k server
etc) and I got timely-fashion responses.

I believe you are actually testing link layer performance, PCI bus speed
and network cards, not operating systems ;)

Actually, you're probably entering a "livelock" situation. Packets were
coming in so fast that the interrupt handler is consuming all your time.
Alot of high speed network devices have special modes to prevent this from
happening. (Only interrupt when a certain number of packets are in the
FIFO, make sure the interrupt isn't asserted for more than x% of the time,
etc).

This is probably possible on 100MBit links on slow CPUs too.

Which network card are you using? I don't ever want to buy one. :)

--
Kevin Day
toasty () dragondata com - kevin () stileproject com