Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: W2k: Unkillable Applications

From: "Snow, Corey" <CSNOW () ddpwa com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:06:20 -0700

I can confirm this; I created a simple Win32 app named "Winlogon.exe" and
Task Manager refused to terminate it. However, I discovered something
interesting: Microsoft's "kill" utility will terminate the faux
winlogon.exe, but will not terminate the real one.

See below- pid 1692 is the pid for my fake winlogon.exe. When the 'kill'
command was executed, the process died right there with no fuss. However,
188 is the pid for the real winlogon.exe. Despite what it says about the
'NetDDE Agent' being killed, the winlogon.exe process continues to run just
fine, and one can actually issue a kill command repeatedly with the same
results. So far, it does not seem to have affected the operation of my
system in any way whatsoever.

Corey M. Snow- csnow () ddpwa com
Senior Web Developer, Washington Dental Service
(206) 528-7361, Mobile (360) 481-2563
FAX: (206) 985-4939
Web: http://www.deltadentalwa.com

----

C:\TEMP>kill 1692
process WinLogon.exe (1692) - 'WinLogonTest' killed

C:\TEMP>kill 188
process WINLOGON.EXE (188) - 'NetDDE Agent' killed

C:\TEMP>
----