Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Small TCP packets == very large overhead == DoS?

From: "David LeBlanc" <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:04:36 -0700

From: Darren Reed [mailto:avalon () coombs anu edu au]

In some mail from Russ, sie said:

I think some people are not understanding the difference between the
TCP MSS and IP's MTU.  Either that or both you and David LeBlanc are
grasping at straws in order to make WindowsNT look better ;)

I understand that difference. I'm not grasping at straws, I'm just wrong.
Ooops. This happens occasionally.

<struggles to get foot out of mouth...>

MTU and Path MTU (PMTU) discovery are not the same as TCP's
MSS but they
can and do impact it.

Understood. I was hoping that if you turned off PMTU discovery, that it
would also ignore MSS and just send default sized packets. Unfortunately, I
don't think that's the case. Doh!

Given all of the above, the suggestion both you and David LeBlanc made
that Windows fixed things at a default of 576 when PMTU discovery was
enabled is not true and I proved this in testing.

OK, OK, you win.

I'm sure you meant to write: "when PMTU discovery was DISabled"

and so on.  Essentially, on both of those platforms all it does is
control whether the "don't fragment" bit (0x4000) is set in the IP
offset field.

Actually, a bit more than that - it also means that it drops the rest of the
PMTU discovery process and uses a default value, apparently unless the
client specifies something else.

<falls back, punts...>
I get the same lack of an
answer on how to set a minimum acceptable MSS now as I did then.

I'll see what I can come up with.