Bugtraq mailing list archives

Bypassing Warnings For Invalid SSL Certificates, Part Two

From: FKnobbe () HOME COM (Frank Knobbe)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:43:52 -0500

Greetings,

remember the discovery by Mitja Kolsek regarding bypassing the
security warnings when you view SSL protected sites with an invalid
certificate? Back then I asked him what warnings he meant since I've
never seen one. :)

Apparently the reason I've never seen that warning was because I had
configured my Internet Explorer (5.1) to 'Check for Server
Certificate Revocation' and 'Check for Publisher Certificate
Revocation' (under the Advanced Tab in the Internet Options).

Testing has shown that with these checkboxes de-selected, I.E. will
warn about sites where the domain name doesn't match the one listed
in the certificate (to warn you about site spoofing). However, with
these checkboxes selected, no warning is presented at all.

To verify:

De-select above mentioned settings. Get the IP address of your
favorite SSL protected site and enter it into your local HOST file
with a mock domain name (for example test.com). Then open I.E. and go
to https://test.com and the page will be displayed without any
warning notifications. It displays the lock in the Status Bar as
usual.

When you do a right click on the page and check the status, it will
list that it can not validate the certificate, as it should. It's
just that no warning will be presented to alert the user that the
site is not valid.

I'm not sure if this problem only occurs on SSL certificates that do
not list a revocation URL, or if it applies to all certs. I tested it
on patched and unpatched versions of I.E. 5.0 and 5.1.

I did not notify Microsoft before this posting because I don't
qualify this as a threatening exploit.

Workaround:

For users: Well, obviously de-select the mentioned settings.

Suggestions:

For web site operators: Implement anti-spoofing redirections (which
more and more are using, that's good).

For certificate issuer: Make use of standards and implement them
fully. List a revocation URL in the certificate if you have one.

Regards,
Frank Knobbe