Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NT DNS Server leaks administrator account name in SOA record

From: mikael.olsson () ENTERNET SE (Mikael Olsson)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:53:19 +0200

Roy Hills wrote:

[MS DNS leaking current NT "Administrator" user name]

suggest that people who are concerned about this manually change
their SOA record contact details to something
generic like "postmaster () domain com" until a fix becomes available.

I thought this might be worth mentioning, since there are a _lot_ of
people out there setting up their own systems that are unaware of
Internet best practices.

All domains should have a "postmaster" and "hostmaster" role
mailbox (or distribution list, alias, whatever).

The "correct" role mailbox to use given these two required mailboxes
would be "hostmaster". Not that it _really_ matters which one you use
as long as it's stated in the SOA record. But, as I said, you should
have a "hostmaster" mailbox regardless of which is listed in the SOA
record.

For more info on commonly used role mailboxes (including the
above), please see:
RFC 2142: "Mailbox names for common services, roles and functions"
http://www.imc.org/rfc2142

It's actually very informative reading and only a few pages long.
Highly recommended for pretty much everyone :-)

$.02

/Mike

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46-(0)660-29 92 00         Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50