Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cobalt RaQ 3 security hole?

From: listuser () SEIFRIED ORG (Kurt Seifried)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:05:06 -0600

If my experience of Cobalt RaQ's is anything to go by admserv needs root
permissions to execute some of the scripts that come standard with the web
interface. This allows designated user accounts to create new users in
/etc/passwd, and so fourth. The errors you are getting running it as an
ordinary user are due to insufficient privileges. Whilst running admserv
as root isn't perhaps that secure, it is essential to the function of the
web interface, one can only hope that Cobalts scripts that run through
admserv don't have any holes.

Wouldn't it be a LOT more secure if the webserver ran as nobody and the
scripts that needed to run as root, well ran as root (and had properly
paranoid input checking). What you are saying is correct, but it is obvious
that Cobalt took the easy way out on this one and either needs to do quite a
bit of work to fix it, or can leave the status quo, at which point it
becomes inevitable that someone will find a flaw that they can exploit and
boom, every RaQ 3 now has an extra root account or five. Letting vendors get
away with this kind of stuff is exactly why we're in such a mess.

Thanks and best regards,
Francis

-Kurt