Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cobalt RaQ 3 security hole?

From: jellis () DSIGB COM (Joshua Ellis)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:24:27 -0500

WTF?  Is it standard for Cobalt servers to compile
Apache with the BIG_SECURITY_HOLE flag and run admserv
as root/root?  Is this just a local issue, something
whoever installed this on on the server did initially?
. . .
I highly suspect this is not an issue with all Cobalt
RaQ 3's, because someone else would have had to come
across this.  Can anyone clue me in on what I did
wrong, if anything?

That's the standard RaQ install.  If you do a /usr/sbin/http -V you'll see
"-D BIG_SECURITY_HOLE".  It's how their mod_perl-based admin modules work.
If you look in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Cobalt you'll see they modify
a lot of files writable only by root, and HUP a lot of processes owned by
root... Apache has to be running as root for you to do that.  Unsafe?
Potentially.  It's a good idea to NOT have port 81 flapping in the breeze
with those RaQ boxes.

The scary thing is how many of these boxes you can find with a few
well-crafted queries to altavista or alltheweb.com.

-joshua

---
Joshua Ellis      Dynamic Software, Inc.     jellis () dsigb com
Phone: 920/432-4454 ext.30               http://www.dsigb.com