Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DDOS Attack Mitigation

From: john () SACKHEADS ORG (John Payne)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:33:09 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 07:50:17PM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
You know if anyone was of a mind to find someone at fault over this,
I'd start pointing the finger at ISP's who haven't been doing this
due to "performance reasons".  They've had the ability to do it for
years and in doing so would seriously reduce the number and possibility
of "spoofing" attacks.

Thats always made me wonder... the global tier 1 that I have intimate
knowledge has been doing ingress filtering for years (day one as far
as I can see) for leased line customers, and the dial devices do their own
source filtering.

Even on the remaining 4700 access routers CPU hasn't been a problem

--
John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    john () sackheads org
http://www.sackheads.org/uce/                    Fax: +44 870 0547954