Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DDOS Attack Mitigation

From: julien () CSOFT NET (Julien Nadeau)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:44:09 -0400

You know if anyone was of a mind to find someone at fault over this,
I'd start pointing the finger at ISP's who haven't been doing this
due to "performance reasons".  They've had the ability to do it for
years and in doing so would seriously reduce the number and possibility
of "spoofing" attacks.

Agreed, I myself work for an ISP which provides co-location services,
and at first most admins (with years of experience might i add), just
don't
cared much about what's going out.  When I got them all to filter
outgoing
packets, traffic dropped.

A solution would be for kernels to provide an option to keep a local
IP lookup table which could be simply based on network interfaces; of
course, given an stable implementation, this option enabled by default
would take care of spoofing problems for admins who don't think much
about what they're sending out -- i mean, they're big part of the
problem.