Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: cache cookies?

From: Rob Lemos <Rob_Lemos/SF/ZDNET () ZDNET COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:52:34 -0800

James:

As the elements in a specific visitor's cache expire, the malicious site
can once again use the attack on that visitor. So your use of "never" is
not quite right. Depending on how often the visitor comes back to the
offending site, would determine whether or not the positive hits keep
getting refreshed or eventually expire.

This could be measured by the site attempting to check a unique element
that only resides on itself. If the element is there, then none of the hits
can be relied upon.

(BTW, Thomas, I tried your site and it missed on everything. Are you
instituting the paper's calibration tests as well?)

Personally, the thing I think is so interesting about this attack is that
it resembles the corollary to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, that an
observer can't help but change that which they are observing.

-R

Robert Lemos
Senior editor
ZDNet News