Bugtraq mailing list archives

Escalation of privileges

From: Chris Foster <frostman () carolina rr com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:07:36 -0400

While testing escalation of privileges from a normal user to admin I found
that in my NTS 4.0/SP6 installation with Norton Antivirus 5.02 installed
this is very simple. Here are the details on how this is done:

1. Logon as a normal user. Try to run windisk from the run prompt and you
should get an access denied.

2. Browse to the root directory for the NAV installation and rename
navlu32.exe to navlu32.old. Create navlu32.exe that executes the command:

net localgroup administrators {name of account to escalate} /ADD

3. Open the Norton Program Scheduler by executing nschednt.exe in the
installation directory. Since normal users are restricted as to what they
can run.   (Display Message, Scan for Viruses, Run LiveUpdate) Just schedule
a LiveUpdate for a couple of mins ahead. When your scheduled job runs it
will execute your navlu32.exe. Log back on and you now have admin privs and
can execute windisk or whatever you like for that matter.

This works due to the Norton Program Scheduler running with system privs and
a normal user being able to write to the Norton installation directory.

Frostman