Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Escalation of privileges

From: Kenn Humborg <kenn () BLUETREE IE>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:38:40 +0100

Hmm... Interesting, but needs an idiot admin to exploit.

I beg to differ.  I don't have the time to minutely examine
every file that every app installs.  I think it is reasonable
to expect reputable companies (such as Symantec) to ship
their apps in a secure state.

In the 'real world', they'd get their asses whipped due to
lack of 'warranties of merchantibility and fitness for a
particular purpose'.  Would you buy a car alarm that left
your doors unlocked?  If you did, and the vendor didn't
make this clear, and sold it as a security enhancement,
you'd sue his ass off.

Unfortunately, in the software world, these stupid limited
warranties mean that you've got absolutely no ground to
stand on.

Annoyed,
Kenn