Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DOS attack against HP JetDirect Printers (fwd)

From: ben () VALINUX COM (Ben Woodard)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:30:23 -0700

As another data point G.07.19 seems immune to the problem.

-ben

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Alfred Huger wrote:
In case anyone is interested, scanning HP printers with
tools such as nmap will cause the printer to lock up hard.
I discovered this while trying to diagnose a connection
problem we were having with a printer.
I've verified this with at least the following versions of
JetDirect:

Firmware Rev.   : A.08.06
Firmware Rev.   : G.08.03
Firmware Rev.   : G.07.17
Firmware Rev.   : G.07.03

I haven't been able to establish the exact communications
causing the lockup; someone with more experience than I
should check this out.

Any network accessable printer can be put out of service
with a simple nmap -sT -PT HP.printer.tcp.ip
A power cycle is required for reset.

This sounds like it might be related to an older bug in the JetDirect
cards - about 3 years ago, simultanious connections to a JetDirect card
would cause the card to lock up, with the only recourse being a power
cycle of the printer.

Multiple (2+) TCP connections would trigger this, as would AppleTalk/TCP.

I haven't checked it in a couple of years, but it was certainly persistant
through multiple revs of the JetDirect cards.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."