Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DOS attack against HP JetDirect Printers (fwd)

From: tmelcon () MIT EDU (Terran Melconian)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:28:31 -0400

In case anyone is interested, scanning HP printers with
tools such as nmap will cause the printer to lock up hard.

I attemped to reproduce this and was unable to.  When I scanned an HP
LaserJet 4050N with JetDirect firmware revision G.08.03, one of the
ones listed as being vulnerable, the printer did not lock up in any
way.

The nmap command line used was:

 nmap -sT -PT printername

attempting to exactly duplicate the one in the original report.  This
was tested with nmap versions 2.3BETA14, 2.12, and 2.30BETA20.

Any further details from people who have successfully produced the
problem might therefore be useful.

 -Terran