Bugtraq mailing list archives

GNU/Linux

From: rms () GNU ORG (Richard Stallman)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:17:32 -0600

Thanks for telling us a fix for the PTY problem.  We will probably
make an Emacs 20.7 release with a fix for this; but first we need
to get legal papers for the changes.  That is no problem for
the changes written by Gerd, but who are the authors of the rest,
and how can we contact them?

I'd like to ask you to do one other thing for us--a matter of
terminology.

   Affected systems:

     Linux (both libc and glibc)

Linux is the kernel; the system as a whole is basically the GNU
operating system.  We're the system's principal developer; would you
please give us a share of the credit, by calling the system
"GNU/Linux"?  The GNU Project was the principal developer of this
system, so it seems fair to give us at least an equal share of the
current.

Note that all versions of GNU/Linux use a version of GNU libc.  The
so-called "Linux libc" was a modified version of GNU libc version 1.
This is another example of how we don't get credit for our work
because people call it "Linux".

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for more
explanation.