Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Novell Netware 5.1 (server 5.00h, Dec 11, 1999)...

From: roy () KARLSBAKK NET (Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:03:24 +0200

For me, Novell sells pretty good IPX solutions for local networks, but it
isn't the best idea to use it as firewall, as system architecture based on
DOS isn't good for Real Networking :(

First:
This utility 'nc' - I understand that's a command line
tcp-connect-something. Do you know where I can get it?

Second:
Novell have never created anything DOS-based networking other than
Personal NetWare (years ago - didn't last long).
NetWare is useing DOS as a loader, as this is a convenient way of doing
stuff. NetWare 2.x did not use DOS as a loader - this was an enhancment on
NetWare 386 (later 3.11/3.12).
This can be compared with Linux "booting" from dos with
LOADLIN.EXE kernel-file

When NetWare 4.11 or later is finished booting, one may issue the command
"REMOVE DOS" to remove the entire DOS so-called operating system from
memory, leacing this to NetWare. This is rarely used, as (a) the memory
gain is low and (b) it really is convenient to be able to reboot a server
without having to do a master (cold or warm) reboot, as it saves loads of
time.

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy () karlsbakk net>
MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCP