Bugtraq mailing list archives

Removal of TCP Initial Sequence Number Patch

From: aleph1 () UNDERGROUND ORG (Aleph One)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:08:21 -0800

The following is a Security  Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
Notification Service.

Please do not  reply to this message,  as it was sent  from an unattended
mailbox.
                    ********************************

On October 22, 1999, Microsoft released Security Bulletin MS99-046,
discussing the availability of a patch that improves the randomness of TCP
Initial Sequence Numbers.  However, we recently learned that the patch
contains a regression error, and as a result, we have removed it from our
download site.  We are working to correct the error, and will deliver an
updated version of the patch shortly.  In the meantime, we wanted to provide
some information on the problem and what customers should do.

The patch is affected by the same error that recently was announced in
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6.  (Please see
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/SP6/allSP6.asp
for more information on Service Pack 6).  The effect of the error is to
prevent some applications from connecting to the server via WINSOCK unless
run in an administrative context.  The error is not associated with TCP
Initial Sequence Numbers, nor does it pose any security risk.  If you are
not experiencing problems with the patch, you can safely leave it in place
until the updated patch is available.  If you are experiencing problems,
please see http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS99-046faq.asp for
information on how to remove the patch or apply a temporary workaround.

A new version of the patch is nearly complete, and we expect to release it
soon.  When it is available, we will update the bulletin and announce the
availability of the patch via the Microsoft Product Security Notification
Service.  We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused by the error.
Sincerely,

The Microsoft Product Security Team