Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: your mail

From: teak () THRASH CLAN-RUM ORG (Firstname Lastname)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:25:54 -0500

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Anonymous wrote:

Ooh, those pesky NXT records.  Like I process those every day.
Fascinating read in RFC 2535, but suppose I don't have any NXT
records in my own zones, under what circumstances will my DNS server
commit the sin of "the processing of NXT records"?  In other words,
are all of us vulnerable (even caching-only name servers if so, I
imagine!), or only people with NXT records?  This makes a big difference!

I won't go into exact details of exploiting the vuln. because it gets
kinda hairy, but it's a real threat.
I can get EIP on multiple versions of BIND. tested so far:

  812-t3b, 812-t4b, 812, and 821

exploit has failed on a particular 812 binary i have, but a recent 812
binary (both of these bins compiled from source retrieved from isc.org)
was exploitable. go figure. i also have an 812-t3b binary which the
exploit does not work on. so far, i can't find a pattern as to which
versions of bind actually process NXT RR's. as i said, i had two binaries
of 812 release--one processed NXT RR's and the other didn't.

the overflow takes place processing *ANY* answer from another nameserver.
all the answer needs to contain is a properly formatted NXT record. it
doesn't matter whether it answers the question, but the answer name must
match the queried name.

nimrood