Bugtraq mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: David_Conrad () ISC ORG (David R. Conrad)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:33:48 -0800

Hi,

The problem is with the reception of NXT records, so it doesn't matter what
you have in your own zone files.  Any nameserver running versions 8.2, 8.2
patchlevel 1, or 8.2.1 can be susceptible to the attack (albeit there are some
pre-conditions that must be met for the issue to even come up).  We, of
course, recommend upgrading.  In addition, we recommend running your
nameserver as non-root and chrooted (I know setting this up is non-trivial --
it'll be much, much easier in BINDv9).

Rgds,
-drc

Anonymous wrote:
Ooh, those pesky NXT records.  Like I process those every day.
Fascinating read in RFC 2535, but suppose I don't have any NXT
records in my own zones, under what circumstances will my DNS server
commit the sin of "the processing of NXT records"?  In other words,
are all of us vulnerable (even caching-only name servers if so, I
imagine!), or only people with NXT records?  This makes a big difference!