Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows NT Service Pack 5 Released

From: rhialto () POLDER UBC KUN NL (Olaf Seibert)
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:11:14 +0200

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Chad Price wrote:

You forgot to mention that you MUST be running IE and also that the SP5 web
pages induce _long_ (30 seconds +) apparent lockups when downloading all
the pages (and before displaying their contents for you to actual read)
with Netscape. The NT performance monitor is pegged at 100% for this period
of time.

When you eventually get to the page which allows you to download the
128-bit SP is the point at which you find out that the full SP will not be
released until May 19th and that you must be running IE to download the
current version.

I just downloaded it with Lynx. No silly pauses, and to my amazement
the pages were fairly readable too.

One thing I wonder about though. On the one hand it is recommended (even
by Microsoft IIRC) not to run browsers on your NT server at all, on the
other hand you are strongly suggested to use a browser on your NT server
in order to update it...

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto () polder ubc. ---- Unauthorized duplication,