Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: jimf () FROSTBYTES COM (Jim Frost)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:15:07 -0500

|This is of course the correct way to implement an "intranet zone".
|It has, however, one serious drawback: you have to configure it.
|Consumer product manufacturers like Microsoft want their product
|to work as much "out of the box" as possible.

Since there is no intranet for most consumers this seems like largely a
non-issue.  Those with intranets in their home probably know enough to
configure it properly.  And businesses should have IT departments whose job it
is to manage it.

So what's the problem?

|It doesn't even work with the default configuration of Windows,
|because the basic assumption that every host with an FQDN in the
|same DNS domain as the client is also in the intranet zone is
|flawed. There are perfectly legitimate configurations where this
|is not the case.

Not only legitimate, but increasingly common.  Cable modem customers, for
instance, tend to have their entire region in the same "intranet": eg
customer.ne.mediaone.net.  I assure you that you don't want to treat the entire
northeast region of MediaOne customers as trusted in any way, shape, or form.

jim