Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ePerl: bad handling of ISINDEX queries

From: willer () INTERLOG COM (Steve Willer)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 14:32:58 -0400

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Andrew Pimlott wrote:

I notified the author of a variant of this bug last summer (which he
fixed; see
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/eperl/distrib/eperl-SNAP/ChangeLog).  I
honestly wouldn't trust eperl for a minute.  These are very simple
mistakes.

    This can lead to arbitrary Perl code being executed on
the server.

To be honest, although I ended up not using ePerl, I would consider this
mistake fairly understandable. I mean, I can't think of anywhere that
still uses ISINDEX, so it's not that strange for it to fall out of a
developer's mental space.

I do want to make one point about the original bug report: If I read it
correctly, then you will only be able to execute ePerl code, *not* Perl
code. ePerl starts off in "plain text" mode, so anything until the
ePerl-open tag will be output as plain text.

Of course, this does mean that a user would be able to read an arbitrary
file that's accessible to nobody, but it doesn't mean they can execute
whatever they want -- only ePerl pages, which are usually written to be
safe (since they're usually a Web page anyway).