Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apache DoS Attack

From: freeman () ADHOST COM (Jonathan Freeman)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:02:34 -0700

We just tested the Sioux (Apache DoS) bug on:

    <>    IIS 3.0  (Service Pack 3)

               causes immediate jump to 100% CPU for approx. 5 seconds
               multiple attacks can keep the CPU in the 90% range

    <>    IIS 4.0  (Service Pack 3)

               causes immediate jump to 80% CPU for approx. a half second
               multiple attacks DO NOT cause more thank 40% sustained CPU
range

    <>    Apache 1.1.1 (Unix)  (Caldera OpenLinux)

               causes jump to 66% CPU for each get request and attempts
               to use all available swap space for memory.  Can be DoS'd
easily.

    <>     WebSitePro 2.3.4  (Service Pack 3)

               causes immediate jump to 99% CPU for approx. 5 seconds
               unknown if DoS would be possible for multiple attacks

Regards,

Jonathan Freeman