Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apache DoS Attack

From: pim () WEBCITY NL (Pim van Riezen)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:48:31 -0700

Jonathan Freeman wrote:

We just tested the Sioux (Apache DoS) bug on:

    <>    IIS 3.0  (Service Pack 3)

               causes immediate jump to 100% CPU for approx. 5 seconds
               multiple attacks can keep the CPU in the 90% range

    <>    IIS 4.0  (Service Pack 3)

               causes immediate jump to 80% CPU for approx. a half second
               multiple attacks DO NOT cause more thank 40% sustained CPU
range

    <>    Apache 1.1.1 (Unix)  (Caldera OpenLinux)

               causes jump to 66% CPU for each get request and attempts
               to use all available swap space for memory.  Can be DoS'd
easily.

    <>     WebSitePro 2.3.4  (Service Pack 3)

               causes immediate jump to 99% CPU for approx. 5 seconds
               unknown if DoS would be possible for multiple attacks

Is there any good reason for any of these programs to merge headers
internally in the first place? I'm wonder because I am actually working
on a webserver and noted that the code wasn't vulnerable because of the
way I chose to implement header-handling (which didn't include any
header-merging code). I wonder if there are any situations where a
client legitimately sends two headers of the same type (in which case I
would have to add header-merging code) or is this following conventions
for the sake of following conventions (in which case I might feel
inclined to stay lazy :-)? Input is welcome.

Regards,

Pim van Riezen

--
"I'm at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk, where shall we meet?"

Operations - SaltLake.UT.US.Undernet.Org
Channel LART - #linux Undernet
Programmer sometimes LART - Microhill Automation
Cat5 Monkey - Webcity / Internet Facilities Europe
Eerie-eyed Visionair Software Developer - StealthTech Networking