Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Object tag crashes Internet Explorer 4.0

From: paulle () MICROSOFT COM (Paul Leach)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 13:57:39 -0700

On the contrary -- Jason's claim was correct. Your example uses a different
object tag and it completely different in nature from the bug that was
fixed: the bug had to do with excessively long file names in HTLM tags,
yours has to do with infinite recursion. Yours can not be exploited to run
untrusted code, unlike the other.

The possibility of infinite loops and infinite recursion in HTML has been
discussed on the lists before. Trying to detect and prevent them is an
instance of the "Turing machine halting" problem, and it is well known among
computer scientists to be impossible.