Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Preliminary Notice: Cisco LocalDirector enable password loss

From: dustin () spy net (Dustin Sallings)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:50:15 -0800

Being one of the customers involved in the below mentioned incident I
feel I must make a full confession ;)

Testing from the console and from a telnet session this morning shows
that the properly set and written to memory password appears secure.
None of my tests this morning succeeded in entering enable mode without a
full and valid password entry.  I do not know what state the device was
in when the attempt outlined below succeeded and I have not been able to
duplicate it without removing the password and writing to memory without
a password set.

I would like to thank Cisco and John for their quick attention to this
matter.  Cisco remains one of the most professional outfits out there.

        Yes, it appears that my problem was not that it took ^C for the
password, but that it had completely lost its password but not been nice enough
to tell me so, and it's very difficult to just ``discover'' as it still accepts
your old password (or anything else you hand it) when it looses one.  This
isn't quite the behavior I'd prefer[0], but is much better than what I thought
was going on.

[0] I would prefer, of course, it accepting only blank for an unset password.

--
Taos Mountain TS         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin () spy net>