Bugtraq mailing list archives

netscape remote control - so what?

From: jb.sg () fp cibc com (Justin Beech)
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 12:35:15 +0800

I think this discussion is pretty silly it seems just a forum for people
to vent some kind of weird angst over netscape. (the last post mentioning
"netscrape" demonstrates this clearly).
If anyone is silly enough to run a server xhost + to untrusted machines
then they deserve all the security problems they get, and shouldnt bore
people on this list with horror stories of what this allows someone to
do with one particular software package. Why not take shots at all the
other packages vulnerable to xhost +? Remote control using operating
system or desktop APIs is a very useful for lots and lots of reasons
and any security issues with this are to be placed at the feet of the
OS or desktop design, not a software vendor -- and I dont see this thread
raising any new security issues there, so can we drop it please?

-Justin.