Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Strange changes - any ideas?

From: Andrew.V.Kovalev () jet msk su (Andrew V. Kovalev)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:33:57 +0400

Fred Cohen wrote:
We run a change-controlled environment, which means that we should be
aware of all changes.  To crosscheck this, we regularly do automated
change detection.  This morning, I made some minor changes to some user
areas and ran the change control checks only to find the changes listed
below. (Here are some select extracts)

        *** '/bin/newgrp' has changed as follows:
           The contents (md5 checksum) changed. Any change in content can trigger this.
Checking /bin
*** '/bin/newgrp' has changed as follows:
   The contents (md5 checksum) changed. Any change in content can trigger this.
*** '/bin/login' has changed as follows:

Looks like /usr was remounted with nosuid option. All (and only) setuid
executables are listed.

                                avk