Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RARP attack?

From: pashdown () xmission com (Pete Ashdown)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:18:29 -0600

It looks as if someone broke into one of these other machines, then started
sending out bogus RARP packets.  I had been experiencing a weird packet loss
that I couldn't track down for the past few weeks, but today and yesterday
several of our Suns were not reachable at all from the provider's Cisco.

Have you captured one of those packets?

No.  I'd like some advice on how to do this with a Cisco though.

You could redirect traffic between two hosts by stomping over an
existing ARP cache entry.  Just send an ARP request from your host,
with the sender IP address being that of the entry you want to override,
and the target host will start sending IP packets destined to that
host to your MAC address.

I didn't capture the MAC address (terminal with no scrollback :-( ), so I'm
not sure if it pointed to any particular machine on the local ethernet.