Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RARP attack?

From: avalon () coombs anu edu au (Darren Reed)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:56:20 +1000

In some mail from Pete Ashdown, sie said:
[...]
The only question I have for the list is why someone would do this?  They hit
some of our Suns, but not all of them, and none of our routers or terminal
servers were affected.  I believe it wasn't a spoofing attack since the MAC
addresses were bogus and didn't resolve to anything.  All I can think is that
someone just wanted to bring us down, and nothing else.

...like a good way to keep a box quiet if you want to use its IP address
as part of IP spoofing, rather than block up sockets using bogus SYN packets ?

darren