Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT/AUCERT

From: deraadt () cvs openbsd org (Theo de Raadt)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:15:28 -0700

Within the past few months, there has been a decisive trend in
CERT/AUCERT's release of vulnerability notices.

AUSCERT, I think it is.

Yeah, AUSCERT is starting to do a better job.  CERT continues to suck.

I think security problems will continue to be discussed in bugtraq
first; however we must consider that AUSCERT has the ears of lots of
other people.  For example, the CIAC advisory earlier today that was
simply an encapsulation of the AUSCERT cron advisory -- suddenly it
goes out to a lot more people.  CIAC responded to an AUSCERT posting,
but they don't normally do that in response to similar bugtraq
postings.  AUSCERT isn't going to find the bugs, but they do promise a
larger audience, more credibility, and greater vendor contact than
bugtraq can provide.  (Not that the vendor contact seems to matter
much, I note Sun is still investigating the ping problem that everyone
else has fixed.)

I too would like to ask AUSCERT to start giving credit.  If someone
finds something new, they deserve it -- and in my memory it has NEVER
been a vendors who deserves the credit.  Yes, even SOD deserves credit
-- I may not like how they are going about releasing the bugs but they
are certainly proving a point.  (I'd actually be thrilled to see
Solaris/NT Bug of the Week groups formed).

The myth that these holes will get fixed by vendors without this kind
of pressure was dispelled a long time ago.

A bug appears on
BugTraq, and within hours or days, a AUCERT or CERT vulnerability
notice appears. That is a GoodThing(tm).

A CERT notice!?  Surely you jest -- a fast response from them takes 3
weeks.  If you want to know about new security problems you are well
advised to ignore CERT advisories since your time is wasted reading
them.

since, did I offend them? This really isn't a game of responsible CERTs vs
dirty crackers, its just a matter of professionals sharing valuable
knowledge.

CERT's recent actions make me believe that it is a matter of
unresponsible (and unresponsive) CERTs vs... well, just some guys who
like to discover something new.  Personally I believe CERT is under
vendor pressure to not release information.

In the case where there isn't one clearly defined author then probably the
forum should be acknowledged, eg maybe with a reference to the bugtraq
web archive site.

There are a number of people on bugtraq who can find out who such
credit should be given to.  For interests sake, I would also like to
see a timeline of when the bug was discovered, exploited, first known
about in a public forum, and when the advisory finally came out.

I'm working on the OpenBSD operating system and we take credit very
seriously (and we also take security VERY seriously ;-)