Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: mail storm

From: pashdown () xmission com (Pete Ashdown)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:57:41 -0600

We run over 400 lists here and unfortunately we are a frequent target for
these type of "subscribe" attacks.  Even though most of the lists are "closed"
we still have a number of open ones (lazy owners).

What we're currently doing is writing a monitoring program for a pair of lists
that shouldn't receive new subscriptions at all, but are open.  When a
subscribe comes in, the script waits a set period of time, then searches all
the other lists for the address and sends out an unsubscribe for each hit.

I can post this to the list when we're done testing it if there is any
interest.