Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: mail storm

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:14:17 -0400

--===_-1_Tue_Aug_13_13:14:16_EDT_1996

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 07:01:33 CDT, Brett L. Hawn said:
been victimized by it) and I can assure you that its quite horrid. Things
like ListServ are completely broken and for the most part automatically
allow anything and anyone to be subscribed (mind you they make you respond
with some sort of moronic OK <code> code to unsubscribe). My old account,

This (requiring an OK confirmation) is configurable behavior for both
subscribe and unsubscribe, on a list-by-list basis.  The intent is to prevent
forged e-mail from subscribing or unsubscribing you, and to deal with broken
e-mail systems.

Or did you want somebody to be able to forge unsubscribes in your name and
you not even know it happened, much less be given a chance to confirm it? ;)

(BTW - netspace.org runs Listserv - maybe I should just forge an
UNSUB for Mr Hawn and see if he appreciates the lack of an OK.. ;)

Listserv may have many broken features (particularly with the handling
of Sender: and From: and Reply-To:, which aren't done in a strictly
rfc-compliant way), but its handling of list security and spamming aren't
among them....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer

--===_-1_Tue_Aug_13_13:14:16_EDT_1996

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBMhC35tQBOOoptg9JAQH3fQP8D0Kp5UIpShEuRuRgArdjrHo3gpEDpwRW
27V2z1mxfOEd0nMtlx1mAHXZu/NmPw16n7Sy4PLOnVHkl2uhAwaXw4OAL9BYKEx0
1f/zLYJpGMDIC6ZVZkWpyNstlySwSv89VD5fu6SqgxBw2dGrGDrjsusDL5Yl2RU2
JxKoDHJgG48=
=3TkX
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--===_-1_Tue_Aug_13_13:14:16_EDT_1996--